John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS
Table of Contents
- Leading expert in the Duodenal Switch procedure
- Served as Chief of the Section of Liver/Pancreas Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery at Oregon Health and Sciences University
- Currently Director of Pacific Laparoscopy with practices in San Francisco and Ventura, California
Experience as a Bariatric Surgeon
After his residency at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Dr. Rabkin was recruited to the Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU) in Portland, Oregon as the Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Section of Liver/Pancreas Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery in the Medical School.
In his capacity at OHSU Dr. Rabkin built a basic science laboratory in the OHSU Department of Surgery to study transplant immunology. Dr. Rabkin initiated programs in Liver and Pancreas Transplantation at the University Hospital as well as at the Portland Veterans Administration Hospital in Portland, Oregon. He has also been very active in Organ Donation and Recovery efforts serving on the Medical Director of the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank from 1993-2001 as well as on multiple committee assignments with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
Dr. Rabkin focuses not only on bariatric surgery, but also on curing fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which often accompanies obesity. Because Dr. Rabkin offers both bariatric surgery and liver transplantation, he is able to track NAFLD throughout its progress from early treatable disease with weight-loss surgery to treatment of end-stage liver disease (ESLD) with transplantation.
After his time in Oregon, Dr. Rabkin returned to the Bay Area and joined Pacific Laparoscopy as a bariatric surgeon and specialist in liver transplantation and complex hepatobiliary surgery. Since then he has helped develop innovative surgical approaches to treating morbid obesity through bariatric surgery and is recognized as an industry expert in the laparoscopic duodenal switch procedure.
His team has performed more than 1,500 duodenal switch procedures, including more than 1,200 laparoscopic procedures and more than 450 open procedures. They also have extensive experience in the conversion of failed prior bariatric procedures to the duodenal switch.
For more information on Dr. John Rabkin, visit his LinkedIn profile.
John Rabkin received his Bachelor of Arts and MD in 1982 from Boston University. Dr. Rabkin complete his internship in surgery and residency in General Surgery from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) from 1982-1988. From 1988-1989, Dr. Rabkin served as the Chief Resident in General Surgery UCSF, then spend the following two years specializing and training in a post residency Fellowship in Transplantation at UCSF and the University of Minnesota.
About Our Medical Advisory Council & Contributors
Nothing is more important than your health, so it is critical that health information you use comes from only the most trusted sources. All health information included on the Bariatric Surgery Source website has been written or thoroughly reviewed by practicing healthcare professionals, which includes highly respected bariatric surgeons, nurses, and dietitians across the United States, Canada, and Australia.
- Wound Tissue Oxygen Tension Predicts the Risk of Wound Infection in Surgical Patients
- CYTOMEGALOVIRUS VIREMIA: Risk Factor for Allograft Cirrhosis after Liver Transplantation for Hepatitis C
- Timing and Severity of Initial Hepatitis C Recurrence As Predictors of Long-term Liver Allograft Injury
- Association of fungal infection and increased mortality in liver transplant recipients
- Treatment of progressive hepatitis C recurrence after liver transplantation with combination interferon plus ribavirin
Reviewed Articles on Bariatric Surgery Source
- 2 Ways to Meet the Gastric Sleeve Surgery Requirements
- 6 Types of Weight Loss Surgery – How Each Will Affect You
- Adolescent Bariatric Surgery & Teen Obesity – All You Need to Know9
- Bariatric Surgery for Beginners – 14 Essential Questions & Answers
- Bariatric Surgery Recovery: Timeline, Pain, Diet, & Activity
- Bariatric Treatment – 7 Steps to Know if Treatment Is Right for You
- Blood Clot Symptoms, Prevention, & Treatment After Weight Loss Surgery
- Curing Diabetes: The Only Confirmed (Pseudo) Cure
- Duodenal Switch (DS) Surgery – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Gastric Bypass Diet: What You Can (& Can’t) Eat
- Gastric Bypass Surgery – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Gastric Sleeve Before and After Pictures and What You Can Expect
- Gastric Sleeve Complications & Side Effects – The 5 Most Common
- Gastric Sleeve Diet – How Successful Patients Eat Before & After Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve Insurance Coverage Requirements
- Gastric Sleeve Recovery: Timeline, Pain, Diet, & Activity
- Gastric Sleeve Results: 1-Year, 5-Year Weight Loss & Health Benefits
- Gastric Sleeve Revision – How to Get to Your Goal Weight
- Gastric Sleeve Success Rate – How Much Weight Will You Lose?
- Gastric Sleeve Success Stories – Freedom From Obesity
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Gastric Sleeve Vs. Gastric Bypass – All You Need to Know
- How Much Weight Could I Lose with Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Is Weight Loss Surgery Safe? – All You Need to Know
- Lap Band Revision Surgery: Your 4 Options
- Life After Weight Loss Surgery – All You Need to Know
- Obesity Health Problems: Complete List, Risk Factors, Prevention & Treatment
- Personal Relationships After Weight Loss: Real Experiences & Advice
- Preparing for Weight Loss Surgery: Your Essential Checklists
- Recovery from Gastric Bypass Surgery – 6 Weeks Maximum
- The 10 Bariatric Surgery Steps to Long-Term Weight Loss
- The Gastric Sleeve Pre-Op Diet – Starting The Process
- The Top 3 Mortality Risks Associated with Bariatric Surgery & How to Avoid Them
- Top Weight Loss Surgical Doctors – 4 Steps to Finding the Right Surgeon
- Weight Gain After Bariatric Surgery – 7 Ways to Get Back to Your Low Point
- Weight Gain After Gastric Sleeve & How to Reverse It
- Weight Loss Surgery Complications – 11 Ways to Reduce Your Risk
- Weight Loss Surgery Quiz – Learn Your Top 2 Procedures
- Your Hospital Stay for Bariatric Surgery – All You Need to Know
Expert Responses on Baritric Surgery Source
- 4 Years Post Gastric Bypass – Major Problems With Carbs/Sugar/Dumping/Lethargic
- Acid Reflux After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
- Are My Bad Habits Leading to Weight Regain After Gastric Sleeve?
- Burning Stomach 7 Days After Duodenal Switch
- Bypass or Sleeve?
- Can I Drink Alcohol After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Can I Get Pregnant After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Can old gastric sleeve scars be opened again for another surgery?
- Can You Still Drink Alcohol After Bariatric Surgery?
- Can your stomach stretch after gastric sleeve?
- Continuous Belching After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Could These Be Side Effects from Lap Band Surgery?
- Cramp where port is and feeling full of gas
- Denied Bariatric Surgery Due to Previous Hospitalizations?
- Dental problems after gastric bypass surgery
- Diet After Gastric Sleeve to Stop Hunger?
- Does a Gastric Bypass Diet Without the Surgery Work?
- Early Dumping Syndrome, Severe Nausea & Vomiting, Daily Diarrhea One Year After Gastric Sleeve
- Encouraged by Gastric Sleeve Results After 3 Months
- Follow Up Care with a Local Surgeon After Bariatric Surgery In Mexico
- Gastric Bypass After Gastric Sleeve: Complications
- Gastric Bypass Diet PDF and High BMI Risks
- Gastric Bypass Revision After Kidney Problems
- Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Chart
- Gastric Sleeve After Failed Gastric Bypass
- Gastric Sleeve After Repaired Lap Band Slip
- Gastric Sleeve Calculator Question
- Gastric Sleeve Effect on Lazy Bowel Syndrome
- Gastric Sleeve Patient Sick After Eating with Nighttime Cough, Indigestion & Reflux
- Gastric Sleeve vs. Stomach Stapling
- Gastric sleeve weight loss tips
- Has My Gastric Pouch Stretched?
- How Do I Get Past My Weight Loss Plateau?
- How do I know how much skin will be removed?
- How Do I Set Goals For The Best Recovery After Gastric Bypass?
- How Fast Will I Lose Weight After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- How long do I have to wait for gastric sleeve while breastfeeding?
- How to Stop Weight Loss After Weight Loss Surgery Goal Weight is Reached
- Hunger Pains & Stomach Growling 5 Days After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Is a Gastric sleeve revision to gastric bypass my best option?
- Is A Lap Band Revision A Good Idea After Weight Gain?
- Is Bariatric Surgery Safe with Scar Tissue / Adhesions Present?
- Is Gastric Sleeve The Best Weight Loss Surgery For Pregnancy?
- Is There a “Happy Middle-Ground” Weight Loss Procedure?
- Is weight loss surgery cheating?
- Is Weight Loss Surgery Safe with Multiple Sclerosis?
- Lap Band Revision to Gastric Sleeve with Low BMI
- Looking For Some Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Failure Stories
- Lost 275 Lbs in 7 Months After Gastric Bypass But Have No Energy & Feel Sick Daily
- Loud Stomach Growling After Gastric Bypass
- Medications After Gastric Sleeve
- My Diabetes has returned after being in remission for 10 months – Please help
- My Gastric Band Tube Detached from My Band: Am I In Danger?
- My Gastric Sleeve Complications Story
- Options for Lap Band Slip
- Pain and Gastric Bypass Time Off Work
- Pre-Gastric Sleeve Calorie Intake — Set Point Theory
- Pre-Op Concerns for Gastric Sleeve Patient
- Pre-Op Testing for Weight Loss Surgery: What to Expect
- Pressure & Swelling in Upper Abdomen 3 Years After Lap Band Surgery
- Pureed Food Recipes For Gastric Sleeve
- Questions about Excess Skin and the Tummy Tuck
- Questions About Switching from Lap Band to Sleeve
- Risk of Blood Clots After Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Risk of Leaks After Gastric Sleeve
- Risks of Gastric Sleeve After Failed Lap Band
- Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Anatomy and Concerns
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Blockage
- Safe to Have Surgery with Active Infection?
- Same Amount of Food Regardless of Lap Band Fill Amount
- Same Day Release From Hospital After Gastric Sleeve
- Secondary-Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (SPMS) & Bariatric Surgery
- Sex After Weight Loss Surgery Question For A Doctor
- Should I meet with a bariatric dietician or get bariatric surgery?
- Soda Safety After Weight Loss Surgery
- Sugar Causes Vomiting for 3.5 Year Gastric Sleeve Patient
- Tips for Lowering the Cost of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Weight Loss Surgery for Patient with Ulcerative Colitis
- Weight Loss Surgery for Seniors
- Weight Loss, More Energetic But Weak Urination After Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
- Weight Regain After Gastric Sleeve Surgery. Help!
- What Are The First Couple Months After Gastric Sleeve Like?
- Why Popcorn Is Bad for Duodenal Switch Patients
- Worried About Complications & Recovery After Gastric Sleeve
- Worried About Excess Skin After Gastric Sleeve
- Worried About Permanently Altering My Body
- Years after Gastric Bypass weight gain
Request a Free Insurance Check
Fill out the below form for a free insurance check performed in partnership with your local bariatric surgeon.