John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS
- Leading expert in the Duodenal Switch procedure
- Served as Chief of the Section of Liver/Pancreas Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery at Oregon Health and Sciences University
- Currently Director of Pacific Laparoscopy with practices in San Francisco and Ventura, California
Experience as a Bariatric Surgeon
After his residency at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Dr. Rabkin was recruited to the Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU) in Portland, Oregon as the Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Section of Liver/Pancreas Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery in the Medical School.
In his capacity at OHSU Dr. Rabkin built a basic science laboratory in the OHSU Department of Surgery to study transplant immunology. Dr. Rabkin initiated programs in Liver and Pancreas Transplantation at the University Hospital as well as at the Portland Veterans Administration Hospital in Portland, Oregon. He has also been very active in Organ Donation and Recovery efforts serving on the Medical Director of the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank from 1993-2001 as well as on multiple committee assignments with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
Dr. Rabkin focuses not only on bariatric surgery, but also on curing fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which often accompanies obesity. Because Dr. Rabkin offers both bariatric surgery and liver transplantation, he is able to track NAFLD throughout its progress from early treatable disease with weight-loss surgery to treatment of end-stage liver disease (ESLD) with transplantation.
After his time in Oregon, Dr. Rabkin returned to the Bay Area and joined Pacific Laparoscopy as a bariatric surgeon and specialist in liver transplantation and complex hepatobiliary surgery. Since then he has helped develop innovative surgical approaches to treating morbid obesity through bariatric surgery and is recognized as an industry expert in the laparoscopic duodenal switch procedure.
His team has performed more than 1,500 duodenal switch procedures, including more than 1,200 laparoscopic procedures and more than 450 open procedures. They also have extensive experience in the conversion of failed prior bariatric procedures to the duodenal switch.
For more information on Dr. John Rabkin, visit his LinkedIn profile.
John Rabkin received his Bachelor of Arts and MD in 1982 from Boston University. Dr. Rabkin complete his internship in surgery and residency in General Surgery from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) from 1982-1988. From 1988-1989, Dr. Rabkin served as the Chief Resident in General Surgery UCSF, then spend the following two years specializing and training in a post residency Fellowship in Transplantation at UCSF and the University of Minnesota.
- Wound Tissue Oxygen Tension Predicts the Risk of Wound Infection in Surgical Patients
- CYTOMEGALOVIRUS VIREMIA: Risk Factor for Allograft Cirrhosis after Liver Transplantation for Hepatitis C
- Timing and Severity of Initial Hepatitis C Recurrence As Predictors of Long-term Liver Allograft Injury
- Association of fungal infection and increased mortality in liver transplant recipients
- Treatment of progressive hepatitis C recurrence after liver transplantation with combination interferon plus ribavirin
Reviewed Articles on Bariatric Surgery Source
- 2 Ways to Meet the Gastric Sleeve Surgery Requirements
- 7 Types of Weight Loss Surgery – How Each Will Affect You
- Adolescent Bariatric Surgery & Teen Obesity – All You Need to Know9
- Bariatric Surgery for Beginners – 14 Essential Questions & Answers
- Bariatric Surgery Recovery: Timeline, Pain, Diet, & Activity
- Bariatric Treatment – 7 Steps to Know if Treatment Is Right for You
- Blood Clot Symptoms, Prevention, & Treatment After Weight Loss Surgery
- Curing Diabetes: The Only Confirmed (Pseudo) Cure
- Duodenal Switch (DS) Surgery – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Gastric Bypass Diet: What You Can (& Can’t) Eat
- Gastric Bypass Surgery – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Gastric Sleeve Complications & Side Effects – The 5 Most Common
- Gastric Sleeve Diet – How Successful Patients Eat Before & After Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve Insurance Coverage Requirements
- Gastric Sleeve Recovery: Timeline, Pain, Diet, & Activity
- Gastric Sleeve Results: 1-Year, 5-Year Weight Loss & Health Benefits
- Gastric Sleeve Revision – How to Get to Your Goal Weight
- Gastric Sleeve Success Stories – Freedom From Obesity
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Gastric Sleeve Vs. Gastric Bypass – All You Need to Know
- How Much Weight Could I Lose with Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Is Weight Loss Surgery Safe? – All You Need to Know
- Lap Band Revision Surgery: Your 4 Options
- Life After Weight Loss Surgery – All You Need to Know
- Obesity Health Problems: Complete List, Risk Factors, Prevention & Treatment
- Personal Relationships After Weight Loss: Real Experiences & Advice
- Preparing for Weight Loss Surgery: Your Essential Checklists
- Recovery from Gastric Bypass Surgery – 6 Weeks Maximum
- The 10 Bariatric Surgery Steps to Long-Term Weight Loss
- The Gastric Sleeve Pre-Op Diet – Starting The Process
- The Top 3 Mortality Risks Associated with Bariatric Surgery & How to Avoid Them
- Top Weight Loss Surgical Doctors – 4 Steps to Finding the Right Surgeon
- Weight Gain After Bariatric Surgery – 7 Ways to Get Back to Your Low Point
- Weight Gain After Gastric Sleeve & How to Reverse It
- Weight Loss Surgery Complications – 11 Ways to Reduce Your Risk
- Weight Loss Surgery Quiz – Learn Your Top 2 Procedures
- Your Hospital Stay for Bariatric Surgery – All You Need to Know