Typical gastric sleeve results include:
- 1-year weight loss: 70% of excess weight, on average
- 5-year weight loss: 55% of excess weight, on average, after weight regain
- Complete resolution or significant improvement for at least 15 obesity-related health conditions, including diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea
Read the sections below to learn everything you need to know about gastric sleeve results.
How much weight will you lose after gastric sleeve?Click here to calculate how much weight you'll lose in the first year
Before and after weight loss success
Individual results may vary
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click on any of the topics below to jump directly to that section
- 70% of excess weight after 1 year
- 55% of excess weight after 5 years
- Click here to calculate your personal weight loss projections
On average, gastric sleeve results in the following excess weight loss:
- Month 3: 30% of excess weight lost
- Month 6: 50% of excess weight lost
- Month 12: 70% of excess weight lost
For more information about what to expect after gastric sleeve surgery, see the following pages:
- Gastric Sleeve Weight Loss
- Gastric Sleeve Before and After Pictures & What You Can Expect
- Gastric Sleeve Success Stories
- Gastric Sleeve Testimonials
As you can see, most patients lose weight very quickly following surgery. You should start to notice significant weight loss after just a few weeks.
Why does gastric sleeve surgery work so well?
- Reduced stomach size makes patients feel full sooner after eating
- Removed portion of the stomach results in fewer hunger-causing hormones secreted, causing patients to feel less hungry generally
Gastric Sleeve Bad Results: Avoiding Weight Regain
If you’re able to maintain the right diet and exercise habits, most of the weight you lose will stay off. However, gastric sleeve results over the long-term usually include at least some weight regain:
- 3 years: 60% of excess weight kept off
- 5 years: 55% of excess weight kept off
- 8 years: 56% of excess weight kept off
- 11 years: 63% of excess weight kept off
Weight regain is usually due to patients not sticking with the proper routine. As a result of overeating, the smaller stomach created during the sleeve procedure can stretch out. This allows the patient to eat more and regain weight.
Follow this link to learn more:
- Best Weight Loss After 1 Year
- 3rd Best Weight Loss After 5 Years
Compared to the other widely performed types of weight loss surgery, gastric sleeve results in the most excess weight loss after 1 year. Gastric sleeve results after 5 years place it 3rd long-term among all procedures.
No long-term studies exist for AspireAssist and long-term results are not applicable to the Gastric Balloon since it must be removed after 6 months.
For a complete comparison of gastric sleeve versus other weight loss procedures, see our Types of Weight Loss Surgery page.
- Cures or Improves Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure & At Least 12 Other Conditions
Gastric sleeve results in complete “resolution” (cure, as long as weight loss is maintained) of many obesity-related health problems. Patients who aren’t cured usually experience a noticeable improvement.
Following is a list of conditions known to be cured or improved by gastric sleeve surgery, ordered by percent of patients helped:
Health improvement results of gastric sleeve surgery also include:
- Quality of life improvements: 93% of patients (32)
- Mortality Reduction/Life Expectancy (5-year mortality): 89% lower risk of death (33)
- Cardiovascular disease: significant improvement (34) (35)
- Depression: Improvement documented but no aggregate data available (36) (37)
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Improvement documented but no sleeve-specific percentages available (38)
- Pseudotumor cerebri: Improvement documented but no sleeve-specific percentages available (39)
See our Obesity Health Problems page for more information about each condition.
- You can read about the experiences of other gastric sleeve patients
- You Can "Ask the Expert"
Hi! My name is Sarah, I'm from just outside Philly. I have a BMI of 42 and I have Type II diabetes and a couple of other problems because of…Is weight loss surgery cheating?*
Hi, I’m struggling with second guessing myself about getting the gastric sleeve after my husband said “weight loss surgery is the easy way out.” Originally I decided to get the…
- You can ask a local bariatric practice for a free insurance check or cost quote
- You can attend a free in-person seminar or an online webinar offered by a local weight loss surgeon
- You should schedule a phone or in-person consultation (both often free), if you are interested in learning more about weight loss surgery
Search the gastric sleeve surgeon directory below to find a weight loss surgeon by country and region: