The average cost of LAP-BAND surgery is about $3,500 with insurance and $15,000 without insurance. Your final out-of-pocket costs depend on:
- Costs specific to the hospital and surgeon you choose (if the procedure isn’t covered by insurance, if it is covered, this won’t affect out-of-pocket costs)
- Your benefits plan specifics (deductibles, etc.)
- Taking advantage of any available discounts
- If all or part of your surgery is financed
- Whether your surgery is tax deductible
Read the sections below for everything you need to know about the cost of LAP-BAND® surgery.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click on any of the topics below to jump directly to that section
- Cost With Insurance
- Cost Without Insurance
- Cost Without Insurance – By Location
- Patient Community & Expert Advice
- Insurance Check/Cost Quote
- The Lap-Band costs $3,500 on average, if weight loss surgery is an included benefit under your insurance policy
See your country below for Lap-Band insurance information:
1. Lap-Band Surgery Is Covered in the United States If Your Insurance Plan Includes Bariatric Surgery
Use our Check My Insurance Tool below to check your benefits:Click Here to Check Your Insurance
How Can You Tell If Your Benefits Plan Covers Weight Loss Surgery?
See the categories below for specifics:
- Individual/Family Plans & Small Group Plans (i.e., fewer than 50 total employees) – Obamacare requires bariatric surgery coverage in many states.
- Large Group Plans (i.e., greater than 50 total employees) – Each company can choose for itself whether bariatric surgery is an included benefit. Speak with someone in Human Resources or call your insurance provider to check.
- Medicare & Medicaid – both cover Lap-Band surgery, but are not accepted by all practices.
Use the Check My Insurance Tool at the top of this section to find out if your plan includes weight loss surgery.
You Can Request That the Surgeon’s Office Check Your Insurance
Dealing with insurance companies is a pain, especially when the experts in your surgeon’s office will do it for you. You can contact a practice you’re interested in, provide them with your insurance details, and they will check your benefits on your behalf for free. Take advantage of this service!
Even If Your Insurance Policy Excludes Bariatric Coverage, It Will Cover Some Associated Expenses
There are many important, fully-defensible reasons to undergo all of the tests below that having nothing to do with weight loss surgery:
- Cardiology exam
- Lab work
- Medically supervised diet program
- Psychological exam
- Sleep study
Request that your surgeon’s office submit claims for the above to get them covered by insurance. This will help lower your total out-of-pockets costs for your Lap-Band surgery.
If you’re curious about Lap-band insurance in Canada or Australia (or anything else having to do with bariatric surgery in either country), check out our complete guides for each country:
- Paying cash out of pocket is referred to as “self-pay” in the bariatric industry
- Total without insurance is $15,000, on average
- If you take out a medical loan for your Lap-Band, your loan payment will be $334 a month, on average
- There are discounts & tax savings usually available
For more details on getting bariatric surgery without insurance please see our Bariatric Surgery Cost page. This page will provide you with details on what contributes to the cost of your procedure and what your procedure will likely cost in your state.
- United States: $15,595 USD
- Canada: $17,840 CAD
- Australia: $3,415 AUD
- United Kingdom: £5,075
- International (Medical Travel): $5,800 USD
1. United States: $15,595
State averages are between $10,000 and $34,000 (U.S. dollars), but the overall U.S. gastric banding average cost is $15,595. If you’d like to know the cost in your state, visit our bariatric surgery cost page for full details.
2. Canada: $17,840 CAD
Below were the results of our Self-Pay Lap Band Cost Survey for each province.
Following were the results of our Self-Pay Lap Band Cost Survey for each province…
If you have insurance and are willing to wait between 2 and 15 years to have your surgery (depending on the facility), lap band surgery is covered in the following provinces: Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec.
3. Australia: $3,415.00 AUD
Below are the results from our Australian Lap-Band Cost Survey.
The following are results from our Lap-band cost survey:
|NEW SOUTH WALES||$4,821|
|NEW SOUTH WALES surgeons surveyed are located in Sydney|
|QUEENSLAND surgeons surveyed are located in Brisbane and Gold Coast|
|SOUTH AUSTRALIA surgeons surveyed are located in Adelaide and Barossa Valley|
|TASMANIA surgeons surveyed are located in Hobart|
|VICTORIA surgeons surveyed are located in Melbourne|
|WESTERN AUSTRALIA surgeons surveyed are located in Perth|
4. United Kingdom: £5,074.92
5. International (Medical Travel): $5,825 USD (lowest)
Following are average Lap-Band costs by country (in U.S. Dollars for comparison purposes):
- Costa Rica – $9,250
- India – $9,265
- Mexico – $6,101
- Thailand – $11,852
- You can “Ask the Expert”
- You can read about other patients’ experiences with the Lap-Band
We would love to read your experiences with paying for Lap-Band surgery. Your insights are invaluable to making sure other people have the information they need to meet their goals.
We would also be happy to answer any questions you may have about Lap-Band cost or insurance issues.
Please use the form below to share your experience or ask a question.
Questions From Other Visitors*
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page.
- You can ask a local bariatric practice for a free insurance check or cost quote
- You can attend a free in-person seminar or an online webinar offered by a local weight loss surgeon
- You should schedule a phone or in-person consultation (both often free), if you are interested in learning more about weight loss surgery