Cost & Insurance
119 Insurance Companies That Cover Bariatric Surgery in the United States
Almost all insurance companies in the U.S. (see full list below) have policies that cover bariatric surgery. Whether you have insurance that covers bariatric surgery depends on what type of policy you have:
- An Individual/Family or Small Group Policy (through an employer with under 50 employees) covers weight loss surgery if you live in one of the 23 states that mandate it
- A Large Group Policy (through an employer with 50+ employees) covers bariatric surgery if your employer has chosen to include it in your plan
- Medicare covers weight loss surgery
- Medicaid covers weight loss surgery (but not all surgeons accept Medicaid)
If your insurance policy covers weight loss surgery, insurance will only pay for it if:
- You have a qualifying body mass index (BMI) of 35+ with obesity-related health problems or a BMI of 40+ (with no accompanying health problems necessary)
- You participate in a medically supervised diet program before having the procedure (length of program depends on your insurance company – it ranges from “not required” to 9 months)
Scroll down for the full bariatric surgery insurance coverage list by U.S. Insurance company.
For more information about plan types and general bariatric surgery insurance qualification requirements, see our Bariatric Surgery Insurance page.
Complete List of Insurance Companies & Bariatric Policies
The table below lists ALL health insurance companies in the United States along with the following:
- Link to bariatric surgery insurance coverage policy: the presence (or lack of) a link to your insurance company’s policy does NOT confirm whether or not you have coverage.
- Link to insurance company contact info: We’ve found your insurance company’s contact info for you so you don’t have to go digging for it.
Ask Your Surgeon for a Free Insurance Check: Most surgeons will contact your insurance company for you for free to confirm your bariatric surgery insurance coverage.
Click here to contact a local surgeon to ask for your free insurance check.
Click the letter that your insurance company’s name begins with or scroll through the table to find your insurance company…
Can’t find your insurance company/plan or have an updated link? Click here to contact us.
Find a Weight Loss Surgeon
- You can ask a local bariatric practice for a free insurance check or cost quote
- You can attend a free in-person seminar or an online webinar offered by a local weight loss surgeon
- You should schedule a phone or in-person consultation (both often free), if you are interested in learning more about weight loss surgery