Bariatric Surgery Research for Patients: Unbiased. Informed. Current.
Bariatric Surgery Source is the best out there for patient-focused weight loss surgery information.
Bariatric Surgeon &
Center of Excellence
WLS Surgical Associates
Popular topics include...
- How to find a qualified local surgeon
- The cause and effect of obesity
- Is bariatric treatment right for you?
- Does insurance cover it? Gastric bypass, VBG, DS & lap band insurance
- Financing bariatric surgery and cost-reducing strategies
- Compare the 16 most popular types of bariatric surgery
- How do you choose the right bariatric doctors and bariatric weight loss center?
- What are the differences between living with obesity and life after weight loss surgery?
[Bariatric Surgery Source] is packed with essential information you need to know before, during and after weight loss surgery.
- How will your new bariatric diet be different from what you're used to?
- What are the potential bariatric surgery complications, are you at risk, and if so, how can you avoid them?
- Where can you find effective in-person and online weight loss surgery support?
- Click here to ask our community and surgeon advisory council any specific question about bariatric surgery. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Click one of the following topics to get started depending on how far you’ve progressed towards developing the new you…
Cause and Effect of Obesity
Before tackling obesity with surgery or less invasive means, it is important to understand what you're up against. Does fast food cause obesity? Is there such a thing as an obesity virus? Are obesity and genetics related? This section covers everything you need to know about why people are obese along with obesity's emotional and physical consequences.
From learning how to calculate BMI and what it means to determining whether surgery is right for you to figuring out your next steps, this page is a great place to start your weight loss surgery research.
Weight Loss Surgery
Start here if you are already certain that you fit the profile for surgery (we recommend starting on the bariatric treatment page if you’ve just recently started looking into weight loss surgery).
Potential procedures include...
- Gastric Lap Band Surgery (Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band or LAGB)
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy)
- Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery (MGBP or Loop Gastric Bypass)
- Duodenal Switch (Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch or BPD/DS)
- Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG or "Stomach Stapling")
- ROSE Procedure
- Experimental weight loss surgery procedures
Life after weight loss surgery
This page will guide you towards a better understanding of your post-surgery life and how to reach and maintain your weight loss surgery goals, including recovering from surgery, health implications, relationships, pregnancy after weight loss surgery, plastic surgery after weight loss, weight gain after bariatric surgery, weight loss surgery support groups, online weight loss support and real-life patient experiences.
Learn what each surgery costs both in the United States and around the world.
Find out how to reduce the cost of surgery through insurance, financing, tax breaks and unerstand where you're money's going.
Financing Bariatric Surgery & Weight Loss Surgery
If you’ve already chosen your procedure or if you’re trying to figure out whether you can afford weight loss surgery and treatment, start here.
We’ve covered it all, including tax implications, your unique financing options, ways to keep the overall price down, Medicare bariatric surgery and bariatric surgery insurance ( including VBG, DS, gastric bypass and lap band insurance ).
Surgery Complications & Bariatric
Worried about whether or not surgery is safe?
Review and compare the complete list of possible complications, their treatments, ways to avoid them and which apply to each type of surgery.
Regardless of which type of weight loss surgery you choose, your diet will change significantly forever. This section will help you understand those changes.
Topics include what your new diet will look like, how to stick to it, which bariatric vitamins you’ll need, bariatric recipes recommended by doctors and patients and the right bariatric eating techniques to avoid problems.
& Cost of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
We’ve devoted an entire section of our site to the most popular and current "gold standard" weight loss surgery procedure.
You’ll find everything you need, including gastric bypass video demonstrations, information about the cost of gastric bypass surgery, diet for gastric bypass and diet after gastric bypass surgery, complications of gastric bypass surgery and finding the right gastric bypass surgeon.
Analysis & Cost
of Lap Band Surgery
The second most common type of weight loss surgery also has its own section with similar information, including the gastric lap band procedure, lap band surgery results, the lap band diet and how to avoid lap band surgery failure, lap band problems and lap band complications.
About Bariatric Surgery Source
From research on obesity to reaching your weight loss surgery goals, we’ll be with you every step of the way... your complete guide to a new you.
New information published every week...
Sign up for the Bariatric Surgery Blog (RSS feed) to be notified about new articles and existing content updates.
We understand the day-to-day challenges that obesity has caused. And we know how difficult it can be to choose the right surgery, figure out how to pay for it, find the right surgical team and adjust to your new post-surgery life.
Regardless of where you are in the process, here you will find the latest research and most up-to-date surgeon-approved information and recommendations.1
I LOVE your site and what you are doing...so much information!! Where were you when I had surgery?
Gastric Bypass Patient
Bariatric Surgery Source is designed to help you find your answers quickly. All information and videos are presented to you in an easy-to-understand way that can be applied to your specific situation.
Was this page helpful?
If so, please tell your friends about it with a Facebook like, Google +1 or via Twitter, Pinterest, email or good old fashioned word of mouth. Thank you for supporting our efforts!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
For additional research, search for your topic...
- Recommendations throughout this site are not necessarily based on the opinions of a single bariatric surgeon. Rather, they are based on research and studies published in peer-reviewed medical journals and/or clinical research databases or based on general industry consensus as verified through non-profit organizations dedicated to furthering the effectiveness of weight loss surgery and/or to reducing the negative consequences of obesity.
Ask a Weight Loss Surgery Question
Our community gives and receives real-life, honest and constructive feedback and advice.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY