Bariatric Surgery: Complete Patient Guide
"Bariatric Surgery Source is the best out there for patient-focused weight loss surgery information."
Bariatric Surgeon &
Center of Excellence
WLS Surgical Associates
The 10 Steps to Bariatric Surgery Success
Click the following links to learn more about each step...
For a condensed version of the information linked from the 10 steps listed above, see our Bariatric Surgery Steps page.
You can also click one of the following topics to get started depending on how far you’ve progressed towards developing the new you…
Cause and Effect of Obesity
Before tackling obesity with surgery or less invasive means, it is important to understand what you're up against. Does fast food cause obesity? Is there such a thing as an obesity virus? Are obesity and genetics related? This section covers everything you need to know about why people are obese along with obesity's emotional and physical consequences.
From learning how to calculate BMI and what it means to determining whether surgery is right for you to figuring out your next steps, this page is a great place to start your weight loss surgery research.
Weight Loss Surgery
Start here if you are already certain that you fit the profile for surgery (we recommend starting on the bariatric treatment page if you’ve just recently started looking into weight loss surgery).
Potential procedures include...
Life after weight loss surgery
This page will guide you towards a better understanding of your post-surgery life and how to reach and maintain your weight loss surgery goals, including recovering from surgery, health implications, relationships, pregnancy after weight loss surgery, plastic surgery after weight loss, weight gain after bariatric surgery, weight loss surgery support groups, online weight loss support and real-life patient experiences.
Learn what each surgery costs both in the United States and around the world.
Find out how to reduce the cost of surgery through insurance, financing, tax breaks and unerstand where you're money's going.
Financing Bariatric Surgery & Weight Loss Surgery
If you’ve already chosen your procedure or if you’re trying to figure out whether you can afford weight loss surgery and treatment, start here.
We’ve covered it all, including tax implications, your unique financing options, ways to keep the overall price down, Medicare bariatric surgery and bariatric surgery insurance ( including VBG, DS, gastric bypass and lap band insurance ).
Surgery Complications & Bariatric
Worried about whether or not surgery is safe?
Review and compare the complete list of possible complications, their treatments, ways to avoid them and which apply to each type of surgery.
Regardless of which type of weight loss surgery you choose, your diet will change significantly forever. This section will help you understand those changes.
Topics include what your new diet will look like, how to stick to it, which bariatric vitamins you’ll need, bariatric recipes recommended by doctors and patients and the right bariatric eating techniques to avoid problems.
About Bariatric Surgery Source
From research on obesity to reaching your weight loss surgery goals, we’ll be with you every step of the way... your complete guide to a new you.
New information published every week...
Sign up for the Bariatric Surgery Blog (RSS feed)to be notified about new articles and existing content updates.
We understand the day-to-day challenges that obesity has caused. And we know how difficult it can be to choose the right surgery, figure out how to pay for it, find the right surgical team and adjust to your new post-surgery life.
Regardless of where you are in the process, here you will find the latest research and most up-to-date surgeon-approved information and recommendations.1
Bariatric Surgery Source is designed to help you find answers quickly...
- Use the Navigation Menu in the left margin and at the top of the page to work your way through the research timeline by topic.
- In the left margin Navigation Menu, the page you are currently viewing will be highlighted with blue text and a blue arrow.
- Use the "Q / A" button at the top right of every page to ask specific questions to our community of patients and surgeons.
- Use the search button (magifying glass button next to the Q / A button) at the top of every page to find a specific topic.
- Use the Facebook Comments box at the bottom of every page to share your experience and opinions and interact with other visitors.
- Sign up for The Bariatric Examiner newsletter and The Bariatric Surgery Blog RSS Feed in the left margin of any page for important research updates along with interesting stories and questions from other patients.
- And please stay in touch by following us on Facebook or Twitter!
Did this page help you? Please Like, +1, Share or Comment...
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
Search Bariatric Surgery Source...
[Last editorial review/modification of this page: 2/19/2014]
- Recommendations throughout this site are not necessarily based on the opinions of a single bariatric surgeon. Rather, they are based on research and studies published in peer-reviewed medical journals and/or clinical research databases or based on general industry consensus as verified through non-profit organizations dedicated to furthering the effectiveness of weight loss surgery and/or to reducing the negative consequences of obesity.