Arif Ahmad MD, FRCS, FACS
Table of Contents
- Director of Bariatric Surgery at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital
- Formally Director of Laparoscopic Surgery at Stony Brook University
- Pioneered the Innovative Single Incision Needlescopic Lap-band and gastric bypass
Dr. Arif Ahmad is the Director of Bariatric Surgery at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital, a program that he founded. Dr. Ahmad was the first surgeon in the Stony Brook area to have performed the Lap-Band procedure, as well as a laparoscopic and robotic assisted gastric bypass.
In 2001, Dr. Ahmad was appointed Director of Laparoscopic Surgery at Stony Brook University, where he instructed other surgeons on laparoscopic surgery generally and laparoscopic bariatric surgery specifically. He is also the author of surgical techniques to prevent intestinal obstruction and leak detection that were published in international journals. Additionally, Dr. Ahmad developed the Innovative Single Incision Needlescopic Lap-band and gastric bypass.
For more information on Dr. Ahmad, visit his LinkedIn profile.
Dr. Arif Ahmad received his medical degree from the Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, or the Calcutta Medical College. He then traveled to the UK and obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS). He followed this with an eighteen month Fellowship at Harvard Medical School and then a residency at the University of Connecticut. Finally, Dr. Ahmad finished his surgical training with a Fellowship in Laparoscopic Surgery from the University of Virginia.
About Our Medical Advisory Council & Contributors
Nothing is more important than your health, so it is critical that health information you use comes from only the most trusted sources. All health information included on the Bariatric Surgery Source website has been written or thoroughly reviewed by practicing healthcare professionals, which includes highly respected bariatric surgeons, nurses, and dietitians across the United States, Canada, and Australia.
- A technique of enteroenterostomy to prevent alimentary limb obstruction in laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic versus robotic-assisted Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a retrospective, single-center study of early perioperative outcomes at a community hospital
- Robotic surgery: current perceptions and the clinical evidence
- Prevalence of Dumping Syndrome After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy and Comparison with Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- A percutaneous technique of liver retraction in laparoscopic bariatric & upper abdominal surgery