Dr. Vafa Shayani, MD, FACS
- Principal investigator on several FDA trials
- First surgeon in Illinois to implant the Orbera and Obalon gastric balloons, as well as the Aspire Assist device
- Formerly Associate Professor of Surgery and the Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery Program at Loyola University
- “Proctor” for the Lap-band procedure (trains and certifies other surgeons in the procedure)
Experience as a Bariatric Surgeon
Dr. Shayani started his professional career at Loyola University Medical Center in 1996 ultimately holding the position of Associate Professor of Surgery and the Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery Program at Loyola University where he served until 2007. Since his departure, he has been practicing as a General and Bariatric Surgeon in the Chicago metropolitan area. He is currently practicing at the Bariatric Institute of Greater Chicago.
Dr. Shayani is one of the leading experts on Lap-Band surgery in the United States. He was one of the first surgeons to begin performing the gastric banding procedure after the FDA approved the procedure in 2001. Because of his expertise in the procedure, Dr. Shayani is a “Proctor” for the Lap-band, which means he trains and qualifies other surgeons in the Lap-Band.
Dr. Shayani is also considered a pioneer in the gastric balloon procedure, participating in the clinic trails for both the Orbera and Obalon gastric balloon and making him the first surgeon in the state of Illinois to implant either of these devices in the state. Wishing to stay at the cutting edge, he is also the first surgeon in Illinois to implant the Aspire Assist device and is now offering vBloc therapy.
Dr. Shayani is board certified in General Surgery, was a primary investigator on several FDA trials and serves on several medical societies including the American College of Surgeons, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons (ASMBS), the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, and the Illinois Association of Bariatric Surgeons. Dr. Shayani is the co-chairman of the membership committee for ASMBS and is the past president of the Illinois Association of Bariatric Surgeons.
Dr. Vafa Shayani completed his undergraduate degree at University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), and medical school at George Washington University in Washington, DC. He completed his general surgical residency at George Washington University then completed an additional year of concentrated training in advanced laparoscopy before beginning his professional career at Loyola University Medical School in 1996.
- Comparison of laparoscopic gastric bypass and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
- Treatment of massive super-obesity with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
- Three-year follow-up weight loss results for patients undergoing laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding at a major university medical center: does the weight loss persist?
- Optimization of Recombinant t-PA Secretion from Seeded Vascular Grafts
- Gallbladder disease in patients undergoing laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
Reviewed Articles on Bariatric Surgery Source
- 13 Ways Lap-Band Surgery Will Affect You
- Gastric Balloon – 14 Ways It Will Affect You
- Lap Band Failure – 2 Types & How to Avoid Them
- Lap Band Removal – All You Need to Know
- Lap Band Results – The Good, The Bad, & VS Gastric Sleeve / Bypass
- Lap-Band Erosion – All You Need to Know
- Lap-Band Problems and Complications – The Complete List
- The AspireAssist Device – 14 Ways It Will Affect You