Weight Loss Surgery is a Lifestyle Change NOT a Diet
by Emily Gomez (Weight Lost Hope Gained)
I have struggled with obesity since my teenage years and all of my adulthood. My mother, father, grandparents, aunts, and uncles ALL struggle with obesity on BOTH sides of my family....NOT a good combination when you look at it.
In a sense I was doomed, and it hit me at the age of 19 like a Mac truck. It spiraled out of control before I finally reeled it back in and started living life by having weight loss surgery.
I don't just blame genetics on my obesity, sure it contributed to it immensely but it was not the only factor. I blame my childhood and some "emotional stuff" that was not dealt with in a healthy manner through therapy, I blame my addictive personality which ultimately lead to food addictions. I blame the and the way they are altering our food to make us crave it more and more.
Some of the things that I just listed I have control over and some I don't. Just like anything in life, weight loss surgery is not free and doesn't come without some sacrifice, dedication, and CHANGE. I can't control genetics or the food industry BUT I CAN control the way the "emotional stuff" affects me and learn how to live with my addictive personality in a healthy rewarding way.
Many years went by that I continued to sabotage myself and my health with food and the unhealthy behaviors associated with food. Many years went by that my family voiced their concerns for me and my health as they sat and watched the train wreck that I was. Many years went by that I just existed. With all of that said, I was not ready to make the CHANGES that needed to be made. I wasn't sure that I could live without my 6 Diet Cokes a day, I wasn't sure that I could live without my Big Mac and TWO super size fries coupled with a diet coke for lunch at least THREE times a week. I could go on and on with this list of things I couldn't live without... we all have them right?!?!
It was not until my obesity health problems started really mounting up against me at the ripe 'ol age of 30 yrs. old, health problems that even my parents in their late 50's were not having. This started to get my attention. Then the final straw was my husband telling me that he was afraid of raising our kids on his own. I knew right then I needed to do something, it was time, I was ready for the CHANGE.
I started reading up on weight loss surgery, I went to a free seminar and then I started my process. The rest is history.
I want to stress to everyone that reads this that is pre op and wondering if weight loss is for you....you need to ask yourself if you are ready for a CHANGE. CHANGE in the way you eat, think about food, act out your emotions, and your thoughts towards physical activity.
Bariatric surgery is NOT the easy way out. It is NOT the majic bullet. It IS a tool that you will have to learn to live with and not misuse if you want to use the second chance at life and live it to the fullest.
Having the surgery is 10% of this journey, the other 90% is learning to live with your head. Some days are not easy, but I am here to tell you that with the amazing online and in person weight loss surgery support group I have along with this website, it sure does make it easier. Utilize the tools that you have available to you to have optimum success. I want everyone that has ever struggled with the disease to feel as free as I do since having surgery 2 yrs. ago and 140 pounds lighter!
The most important tool in your tool belt to "fix" YOU is.....BELIEVING IN YOURSELF!!! Do it!!! Why you ask? Because you are worth it and I BELEIVE IN YOU!!!
Have a follow up question?
Please do NOT ask it on this page unless you ONLY want the original poster and other commenters on this page to be notified about it. To get feedback from a more diverse and broader range of current and prospective WLS patients, click here to post your question.
For additional research, search for your topic...
The information contained in this web site is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as nor should be relied upon as medical advice. Rather, it is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician(s). Before you use any of the information provided in the site, you should seek the advice of a qualified medical, dietary, fitness or other appropriate professional.
In the spirit of full
disclosure: We proudly support this
website through advertising and affiliate ("aff") marketing. In other words,
when you click on a link that takes you outside of this website, we
sometimes earn a small commission. These small commissions allow us to keep
the site up and running and to continue offering it completely free of
charge to you. Rest assured that all content, recommendations and
advice are created before, and are independent of, any sponsorship or
affiliate relationship. Click
for more info.